Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Build for Mac/PC Desktop — Gideros Forum

Build for Mac/PC Desktop

KellogKellog Member
edited October 2013 in Roadmap
I know this has been asked a number of times and it's on the Roadmap, but is there any vague idea on when this will be available? You know, like ... 2013, 2014, 2015 or realistically never.

I know there is a lot to do and people are working flat out, but it's really hard not to be tempted to reluctantly jump ship to the likes of Unity3d (for 2d games now) and some others with their better cross-platform support.

Not having a go at Gideros (which is great); I'm sure some others feel the same. Just want some hope.

Thanks

Comments

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited October 2013
    Hello @Kellog

So here is what is happening now.

We are moving to more often releases for Upgraded members through Gideros Labs. And we need to determine the time, the version will be held in the Labs before released to the community. This time should be calculated that would allow us to leverage implementing small fixes and features and also major features (at least one for each version, except bug fix versions) and allow some time for testing and feedback through upgraded members.

On the other hand we have list of small features and major features, and currently I can say that Desktop support is in Top 5 major feature by priority (we are also in the process of determining more thorough priorities for features).

So based on the decisions on these two main cases depends the time of implementation of Desktop support.

Now let me try to estimate with some arbitrary (but should be close to true) numbers we are estimating. Let's say major release would go out to free members once in 3 to 4 months.
    Let's say in each release will be included 1 (maybe sometimes 2) major feature, lots of small features and bug fixes.
    We already decided on the first priority feature, so lets say desktop could take from 2nd to 5th (which I doubt, but still possible) place in priority. Which would mean that in best case scenario it can be available in 6 month and worst case scenario in 20 months. (faster in the Labs).

Hopefully its an enough rough estimate? :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Great, that's very reassuring indeed. :)
  • I have to say I work with unity too,as If I have the option I prefer Gideros over unity,
    for desktop and mac.
    because
    1. Gideros exports much smaller package for ios ,android,20 to 30 megs smaller.
    2. Lua is way faster language to program in.
    3. Gideros is an amazing tool for making 2d games.
    www.zoolax.com
  • @zoolax, I agree with you, any framework that would be easy to use and has more options would be a popular choice than one that doesn't.

In other words, *IF* Gideros would work for Mobile and Desktop, it will be unbeatable (but others might come with their offerings too, like the Graphics 2.0 race)
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • I agree with the above comments.

Certainly, @ar2rsawseen, a Desktop app store builder would be a revenue driver for Gideros and should be a high priority imo.
  • Basically in the similar state as Desktop, and one of the points we will need to prioritize, but seeing that WP8 is not gaining much traction, probably Desktop would be more in place now :)
  • I have to agree. Right now indies are popping all over the place, and they're trying to target desktop (win+mac+linux) and mobile together, but there's no real good option with a fast workflow for 2D games:

- Corona > Mobile+Ouya only
    - Love2d > Desktop only
    - Gideros > Mobile+Ouya only
    - Unity > Desktop+Mobile (Inlcuding WP8)+Ouya, but overkill for 2d
    - LoomSDK > Mobile+Desktop+Ouya but no physic engine :(
    - OpenFL (Haxe) > Mobile+Desktop+Ouya+Html5 buggy and with fewer features

Others I have not considered because their workflow is too slow for my taste

• john26john26 Maintainer
    @ar2rsawseen "in the similar state as Desktop". Any particular progress you can report re WP8? Have you got anything going on DirectX yet? I suppose that is the major hurdle...

Also will WinRT be supported when WP8 is? AFAIK similar technology.
  • i also agree that desktop export would be quite essential, after gideros2 probably there won't be any more other features that i would like. i see that various add-ons for iap etc. are progressing nicely, so with this pace there should be always enough support on that side (which i do not use much so far).
    on the less subjective part, indeed that would set it apart from other (lua 2d) engines.

btw i'm following what is happening with openfl, mostly as i need the desktop export, and thus have to keep an eye on other sdks, but they are also moving in a direction similar to gideros financially, i.e. they announced recently that their 'pro' libraries (iap etc) won't be free, so it is at the end similar to gideros labs, only difference that gideros offers probably way more of these libraries already in the free version, so although openfl is theoretically open-source and completely free, practically gideros has more value already for free. except that gideros has no desktop export so far and so we are back to line 1.

• I would love to see desktop support too.

However before that, i hope to see Gideros as a company flourished and profitable so further development in tech could be possible. You have wonderful tech already guys ;)
    have fun with our games~
    http://www.nightspade.com
  • > However before that, i hope to see Gideros as a company flourished and profitable so further development in tech could be possible.

Surely @Nascode, the point is desktop support would drive profitability.
  • ianchiaianchia Member
    edited October 2013
    @gianmichele Thanks for the pointer to Loom SDK. Hadn't heard about it. It does have physics support (at least in the SDK.) Chipmunk is part of the vendor directory in the github repo. Add Ben Garney and all the experience behind Push Button Engine and the faux AS3 language (and that VERY slick Turbo demo) and the open source engine - count me in as a very interested onlooker.

As for the general thread on Gideros authoring desktop applications - I'm *very* interested in desktop support (Mac 1st, Win 2nd - due to Mac App Store). I never really understood the priorities behind Windows Phone being higher on the roadmap, since there is no adoption and no $$ customers for apps. Please don't consider WinRT as a priority - that's even worse than Windows Phone. Surely Win/Mac desktop adoption and potential paying customers for Gideros authored applications would overrule any other platforms after iOS and Android.

**I'd even pay extra for desktop authoring support (maybe in the $50 to $100 range.)**

My AUD$0.02.

- Ian

• However before that, i hope to see Gideros as a company flourished and profitable so further development in tech could be possible. You have wonderful tech already guys ;)
    I couldn't agree more
    =D>
  • PlatypusPlatypus Member
    edited October 2013
    "My AUD$0.02."
    Ha, ha. Nice.
    "I never really understood the priorities behind Windows Phone being higher on the roadmap, since there is no adoption and no $$ customers for apps."
    Regarding the lack of adoption:
    Indeed.

I am pretty close to changing my vote from "Windows Phone first" to "desktop first", but if public adoption of Windows Phone miraculously picks up, my vote/opinion would be as follows:

We all came here with different goals, but the one app I came here to make is only suitable for tiny, mobile, portrait-orientated screens. Since Gideros Mobile is for mobiles, it seems logical that Gideros would strive to cover all popular mobile devices (before desktops).

The possibility of creating desktop software does excite me, but it would be an unexpected bonus feature.

My app isn't suitable for desktops, but I could deploy it to Windows Phone without changing anything, if the option was available.
    "Mac 1st, Win 2nd - due to Mac App Store"
    I agree.

Now, Gideros community, you have at least four Aussie cents. Don't spend it on drink.
    Kate's Catalogue of Travelling Theatre Centres :
    Meet Kate. Grey is her favourite colour. Maths is her favourite subject. Decency is her favourite type of behaviour.
    She definitely does not like jewellery or modelling, but loves aeroplanes and other machines made of aluminium.
  • It would be really useful to be able to create desktop apps with Gideros as the code base and the Lua code can be re-used. It would be a better choice to make tools for developers that would integrate better with Gideros. While there are other tools for Desktop apps, they utilise languages that are different and maintaining several code bases and languages are not exactly fun.

I would look forward to the Desktop ability soon, however that could also mean that the native components need to work before we can take advantage of the same. Since having a mouse and keyboard would entail a lot of textboxes, etc.

BTW. Since the smallest in use is 0.05 (5 cents coin), here's mine to add to the Gideros kitty
    5cents.png
    884 x 919 - 1M
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • Hmm, thats really interesting,
    so if you guys would have to choose only one, lets say, between Desktop, WP8, Blackberry and HTML5, what would it be? :)
  • @OZApps,
    "Since the smallest in use is 0.05 (5 cents coin), here's mine to add to the Gideros kitty"
    Ha, ha!
    Touché.
    Meet Kate. Grey is her favourite colour. Maths is her favourite subject. Decency is her favourite type of behaviour.
    She definitely does not like jewellery or modelling, but loves aeroplanes and other machines made of aluminium.

• BTW. Since the smallest in use is 0.05 (5 cents coin), here's mine to add to the Gideros kitty
    Really? So you don't have prices, like 9.99 ?

• > if you guys would have to choose only one, lets say, between Desktop, WP8, Blackberry and HTML5

If you are trying to sell an app, there are scant $$$$ for Windows phone, Blackberry and HTML5 apps. Although perhaps for bespoke apps.

But there are $$$$ for selling apps via Mac and Windows app stores. Gideros could charge a premium for this feature which I would be happy to pay @ar2rsawseen

• PlatypusPlatypus Member
    edited October 2013
    "Really? So you don't have prices, like 9.99 ?"
    Not in cash.
    Not since '92.
    "HTML5"
    Are you proposing the ability to write apps in Lua and deploy them to iOS, Android and the web?
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited October 2013
    Are you proposing the ability to write apps in Lua and deploy them to iOS, Android and the web?
    Currently have no idea if its possible, just interested in your opinion and priorities :)
  • Holy Mackerel! If that's what you mean, then YES, HTML5! That's my vote!
    Wow! Can you imagine it?!

Gideros One-Click Export:
    • iOS app
    • Android app
    • Web app

...and they'd all work perfectly and look exactly the same. That would be revolutionary*! The popularity of Gideros would increase to INCREDIBLE proportions.

*(Wouldn't it?)
  • @gianmichele Thanks for the pointer to Loom SDK. Hadn't heard about it. It does have physics support (at least in the SDK.) Chipmunk is part of the vendor directory in the github repo. Add Ben Garney and all the experience behind Push Button Engine and the faux AS3 language (and that VERY slick Turbo demo) and the open source engine - count me in as a very interested onlooker.
    Unfortunately chipmunk is not completely exposed. There's no collision control or any other feature, just body falling based on gravity :(

Anyway my vote goes to Desktop here
  • HTML5 obviously.
  • @ar2rsawseen - thanks for the added details on your dev plans. I love the idea of paid users getting more frequently updated Labs releases as I see this as a way to help GIderos become profitable whilst not blocking anyone from developing and using it.

Desktop or Web App first - hard choice... I'd say Desktop (Windows + Mac) because I imagine porting an export to support HTML would involve a significant development curve and possibly detract from Gideros's core strengths?

Just my NZD$0.01 worth :)
  • @gingerbreadkids most probably you are right and HTML5 would be the hardest to implement, nevertheless, what I would want to hear, are your opinions on platforms importance :)
  • As an indie, you're really expected to release on Win+Mac+Linux nowadays (and support gamepads!)