Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Reward vids when offline — Gideros Forum

Reward vids when offline

billydbbillydb Member
edited July 2015 in Game & application design
May be a dumb question but what are you supposed to do when a player has no internet and you try and play a reward video?
I've been using Rovios Retry as a starting point for my monitization plan but tried turing off wifi and cel data and it plays there own ad, which I'm guessing is included with the app. So do I need something similar, or some kind of countdown so that players can't just turn off there internet to play ad free?

Comments

• totebototebo Member
    Having recently integrated rewarded ads into my latest game, I also bumped into this issue. In the end I decided that showing no ads is fine, because the ad network won't pay for an offline ad (even if it could be shown), and any action the player takes would have to work offline, which defeats the purpose of something like "Play my other games".

My philosophy is, if the player turn off their connection when they play to see no ads, that's ok. They won't get ads, but, in the case of my games, they will also lose functionality such as high scores and saving their progress to the cloud. I think that players value those things higher than not seeing ads.

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Thanks for the perspective. I don't want to be too mercenary about this but maybe I need to think about some kind of downside to not playing the ad while still pressing the play ad button.
    I know you mentioned using all the available ad networks in your new game, does that mean your listing them in order of your preference and then going down the list if one or more fails to play? Also wondering if I should consider having more than just vungle setup so there are fallback options?
  • totebototebo Member
    Yeah, each ad network that fails fall back to the next in the list. I randomize the network list on startup at the moment, to see which one performs the best after release. Once I know, the plan is to hard code the networks in that order.

If the play ad button is core to your game, there could be an issue, and you may need to replace it with something else (design- or mechanics wise). In my game I offer three lives to continue playing after you've run out of lives. If there are no ad networks available I show a "Game Over" screen instead, with no option to continue.
  • yeh thats basically what i was thinking. I have checkpoints and collectable lives then when you run out of lives you can use an ad to "buy" more otherwise start from the beginning of the level. I just want to try and avoid the situation where someone presses the ad button and the level resets anyway.
    But I guess I can use the ad failed event to give an option to retry loading the ad or restart the level. At least then it would be obviously a fail on the ads side and not the games. I hope :)
  • totebototebo Member
    Accepted Answer
    Yeah, use the AD_FAILED event. I check if the ad is loaded and that's when I show the button. If the waterfall (the ads in a sequence) has reached the end by the time the player has one life left, I try to reload the waterfall, starting from the top.
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    In most cases on no ad/ failed ad, I show "banners" for my other games.
    And it works either way if they have internet connection or note, cause other game graphics downloaded and stored locally.

It does not matter if they click on it or not, the point is to make them remember the game :)
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • if only i had the option to advertis my "other games :) maybe in another coupke of years. Unless my "wife's online jewlery shop would do, but guessing its the wrong demographic :-?