Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Proposition on progressing with Gideros - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

Proposition on progressing with Gideros

Comments

• piepie Member
    I'm willing to pay for new features and bugfixes, since I don't think I could help with source development (I just "learned" lua).

(I was willing to pay for the subscription as soon as I could complete my first game, but I am still working on it since I started from a non developer background...)
    However Gideros is wonderful and I love it, I hope that the new business model will bring it to the highest levels!

:)
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Hello folks!

I've been worked these days in the player app to create some features (fullscreen, autoscale, change background color, show/hide menu), and i've been reorganized the project structure to simplify my work.

I'm using QT Creator to develop, test and build the player, and it is so easy to understand and work on.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Category:Tools::QtCreator

If we find some peoples to work on this, i'm available to teach how i've configured the environment and the build process.

cheers...
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @ar2rsawseen & @john26 can contribute both by paying and by becoming a weekend warrior .. Am more of a core developer who likes to keep house tidy.. Can help in scripting also if required. I suggest take a day off and get together and list down features required along with specific things to do and put it up on github.. whoever's keen & ready to pay can do so.

I am in this more for seeing gideros live/thrive and seeing it on wp8 !!

-Premal
  • @macelojunior These sound like great improvements.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Well, I don't care about WP8, that phone is clearly behind Android and iOS and probably not worth all the effort in supporting it...

I am more interested in desktop, or HTML5, Moai and Corona are moving in that direction (HTML5), and the only reason the CEO don't made me switch to them is that because our game is almost done with Gideros (I think we can launch at most in 2 months)

I am willing to help do stuff, as long is stuff that aligns with my interests, not because I am a selfish asshole, it is because a severe lack of time and money (right now I am almost at the point of taking loans to buy ramen).

But seriously, before any new features you need to fix all broken scripts, confusing folders and other crap. I don't feel Gideros is ready for new features at all, it is absolutely messy, buggy and confusing.
    I make games for children: http://www.kidoteca.com
  • I have forked gideros repo and tried to set up travisci to create builds automatically
    https://github.com/ar2rsawseen/gideros-test

Unfortunately travisci provides only linux and osx, the ones with which I don't have enough experience to make the builds actually compile without access to the machine.
    https://travis-ci.org/ar2rsawseen/gideros-test

(you can open up before_install clause and see the errors, I think last error I was dealing with on weekend was that currently although libpng is installed as brew says, png.h still can't be found)

But idea is, to automate building process and make building binaries on travisci and upload them back to github as releases, to make available for download.

If there is anyone, who wants to cooperate to make it happen, please post here or pm :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I would definitely participate in funding if it meant more export platforms, Win Phone, PC/Mac/Linux and HTML5 exports, integrated level editor would be nice too! : :D
  • @ar2rsawseen, the latest binaries published on gideros page are for 2014.01, you sent me in pm the 2014.04 version at some point, as it contained some important bugfixes. perhaps it would be good if the latest stable build would be available to everybody without the need for compiling the source code.
    exactly, before even considering supporting other platforms we should keep the binary up to date with Android and iOS! 2014.01 is not compatible with xCode 6 anymore. I can still upload to the App Store with xCode 5 but TestFlight is not available and I can't even upload to a test device running iOS 8. And what happens if xCode 5 doesn't work anymore with itunes connect? the it's over with iOS.

and yes, I think most of us don't/can't compile. We need the binary. Maybe we should start a poll about it.

• Agreed, my attempts on making automatic builds failed for now.
    So most probably we would need to make them manually for some time and add releases to github

About ios, until recent I was making ios apps with xcode4 and it was all working perfectly, even with ios 8 out :)
    But unfortunately (well fortunately for me :) ) I have nothing in common with IOS anymore, we decided abandon ios for all projects we were using, sorry
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited October 2014
    I was thinking also abandon iOS for next projects, and only focus on Android and may be Ouya.

I guess Apple Store is now only for big companies so I is not worth the effort to build for iOS, wait for approval and iAd problems sometimes. And all of this to earn less than 1 dollar a day. Android and HTML5 are the main app target now.
  • I agreed with the funding to make larger Gideros, but there are many doubts now. It also appears that iOS is a bad idea for some, I bought a MacMini and now I see this. Should we look elsewhere? And IOS does not go?
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited October 2014
    The question is Apple only wants you use the most updated tools, they forget all previous tools that work well. My developer account expires on March, after that bye iOS, I will use Gideros only for Android.

For me Xcode is awful, horrible tools, I spent a lot of time with Xcode and review problems, it is not worth for me.
  • @jdbc, @ar2rsawseen, it would be interesting to know more about your choice of (maybe) abandoning ios. it would be even better to have a separate topic for that.
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited October 2014
    @jdbc, @ar2rsawseen, it would be interesting to know more about your choice of (maybe) abandoning ios. it would be even better to have a separate topic for that.
    May be you are right but the question is how will Gideros progress? Is it worth to spent a lot of efforts to support iOS?

I think Apple and iOS are going down, and Android + HTML5 is the future. Anyway we could use http://www.iosopendev.com/ as another option, it works for Xcode 4
  • "Apple and iOS are going down"
    that sounds surprising, you think for indie developers there is no reasonable income there? i thought that e.g. paid for apps might work better on ios than on android. did this change? etc. i think people could share their experiences in a separate topic (i don't have any but would be good to know if i should spend the effort and money to publish my game on ios too when/if the time comes).

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited October 2014
    May be you are right, you should create a new topic about "It is worth to publish to Apple Store for indie developers"
  • Just to make a statement, as me abandoning IOS, does not mean Gideros won't support it. If you look at latest commits, Atilim actually progressed quite well on making automatic IOS builds (still not there yet)

And even me, not user of Ios, will try updating all the libs as Ads Interface, etc also on ios. And will try to look into the ios8 issue, if I get a free time and a hands on newest xcode and sdk, unfortunately currently don't have much of free time.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • That good news @ar2rsawseen, hoping you can help. Always thank you.

• I just built an new iOS8 app with Gideros 2014.01 using xcode6.1 all OK but with Gideros 2014.04 I could not get and .png graphics to load at all so reverted back to 2014.01.

I went back to paid only on the iOS version of the app because of a few reasons, but one was that the Chartboost adwrapper displays the ad rotated 90degrees when in landscape and also I cannot use the latest Chartboost SDK with Gideros on iOS any longer under Xcode 6.1 and Gideros 2014.01 or 2014.04.

If the ad interface could be ever be updated to use the very latest Chartboost 5.0 SDK onwards I may be sending a certain person some more free presents wink wink nudge nudge :)

Cheers
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited November 2014
    Hmm, I thought I've updated Ads interface to new Chartboost (with video ads and News Feed)
    https://github.com/gideros/giderosplugins/tree/master/Ads

Is there any newer update of Chartboost I missed?

Will recheck tomorrow

• Ah I missed that but I think they updated it again, again too https://answers.chartboost.com/hc/en-us/articles/201219435

Cheers
  • I meant for iOS mainly tho too.
  • Nice one! I shall check it out later this week and report back etc :)
  • MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
    edited November 2014
    I got all that thanks and built my project with it all in as expected, but I get some linker errors with the reachability related stuff under xcode 6.1

For the record this is an >=iOS8 targeted project built with Gideros 2014.01 which works fine as a paid project without the Chartboost stuff in of course.

I am only using the Chartboost element of the Ads interface too and nothing else.

Cheers
  • You should have SystemConfiguration.framework added to your project ;)

• Ah yes I must of left that out so will check later as away from machine now.

Thanks
  • That was it - thank you. I somehow left out that framework oops :P

I will send you an early random Christmas present soon to your PO Box :)

Thanks,

Adrian
  • MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
    edited November 2014
    There maybe a problem with only one ad showing per bootup of the app on iOS8 with the latest Chartboost 5.0.3 SDK. I can't be totally sure yet but it's not unlike the older Android problem we once had where add display was erratic. I don't know if it's them or us just yet. I will report back more here as I have it - very odd.

Adrian