Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Android L and Gideros — Gideros Forum

Android L and Gideros

totebototebo Member
edited August 2014 in Bugs and issues
Hey,

I've had reports that my published Gideros game doesn't work with Android L. Is there something that needs changing, either in Gideros or Eclipse?

http://developer.android.com/preview/index.html

Cheers,

Niclas

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• @totebo for now, not that I'd know of.

I thought Android L was only a preview and not stable/usable

In Gideros template only minimum and target sdk versions are specified, so it should be compatible with all the upper/newer versions of Android, unless the Android version is itself backwards incompatible.

Do you have any crashlogs, etc to point into what exactly could be the problem? Or at least a description of what exactly is happening? :)
  • Hey @ar2rsawseen, those are exactly my thoughts. But when you get low star reviews because of it, what can you do? :)

I asked the reviewer to give me more feedback as I currently don't have Android L (and, in fact, hadn't heard of until I got those reviews).
  • Really interesting
    Did he mention what exactly happened?
    Users can also usually submit a crashlog on Google, you can suggest that if you ever responds
  • totebototebo Member
    edited September 2014
    I got feedback on this bug:

"The app just closes. No crash screen or 'send report' message."

I think what's required here is a LogCat output. My initial guess is that it's got something to do with the plugins, maybe ads.

His would they be able to "submit a crash log"?
  • If game is published and downloaded form Google Play, then usually when there is a native crash (as java code) then there is an option to submit report.

On ANR there is usually a window asking to wait or forclose

I don't think (although not sure) that native C crashes or Lua errors raise the dialog.

So there for example were great changes in Android 4+ in JNI, that lot of previous code broke and needed to be redone. But I have not found any statements or posts from Google saying something similar about Android L (actually I have not heard anything about Android L :) )

One way would be to incorporate some crash reporting service, as Crashlytics and see if it tells something. But if the Activity does not even gets initiated, it also won't do any good.

The best way would be to connect it to PC and look in LogCat while launching the game, but thats not always possible
  • When looking at Googe Play dev panel there are very few crashes (thank goodness). When I look at devices they're all 4.4 or lower. So those crashes by 4.5.x (which is Android L, I'm guessing) don't seem to be reported.