Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Detailed Road Map On Getting a Mobile Game Made — Gideros Forum

Detailed Road Map On Getting a Mobile Game Made

Unknown Member
edited May 2013 in Step by step tutorials
Hey Guys,

I'd really appreciate your help in putting together a detailed road map for game development, for those new to the field like myself.
A road map like this is good: http://lioninngames.com/the-roadmap-to-develop-indie-games/
but incomplete (in my humble opinion).

So to kick things off, I've got an idea for a 2D mobile game. I've planned/designed the levels, and characters (enemies, player unit, weapons, etc.).

I'm no artist, nor am I a programmer.

So what now?

Do I begin recruiting an artist for the art, or get the programming done first?
And if I choose the former, how do I go about it?

Here are my questions when it comes to recruiting an artist:

1) What information would this person need in detail?
Nothing vague. Exact things that he would typically need to know.

2) What output should I expect?
If I were to hire someone, what should be the result that I am looking for?
I need background images (pretty straightforward, I think), and art for the characters, items (stuff that will be animated/moving within the game).

Should I get this artist to create different character poses (for when he is shooting, running, etc), a sprite sheet? Is that what my programmer would need in order to put the graphics into the game?

I think that should be enough for starters.

If you think I'm forgetting to ask some important questions, please let me know...

Thanks again,
Faizal

Comments

• AhBadianeAhBadiane Member
    edited May 2013
    @oneweirddude,
    Interesting questions , I am very interested in the answers to my game in progress ;;)
    http://www.giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/3251/a-taste-of-my-game-snake-breakout#Item_1
    AhBadiane
  • loucsamloucsam Member
    The programming side of things can go on with placeholder/temporary graphics, and you can slot in the finished graphics later.

One thing to consider is when getting someone else to do the graphics is for you to know exactly what dimensions you want the images created in. As I am still a relatively inexperienced gideros and even mobile platform programmer(hobbyist) I didn't fully know the answer to what dimensions to ask for images in when I asked someone recently to do some artwork.

And as I am finding out I don't believe I can produce my game using only one set of graphics. There probably needs to be 2 or 3 sets of dimensions, but of course it is likely to depend on the nature of the graphics as to whether or not it scales well to different hardware display sizes. This is delaying me finishing my game, and a bit disheartening to be honest.

Cheers,
    Max