Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
App updates — Gideros Forum

App updates

ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
edited February 2012 in General questions
Hello all,

I have a question about app updates. Usually in Android apps, when we wanted to add more levels, we implemented in app update, whch basically connects to our server and if there are new levels, downloads level definitions (json) and stores them inside app

Now I've been playing around with ios device with one game app, and appstore notified me of app update, which added new levels. Update didn't override existing installed app, only added new levels, all game progress is still saved, etc.

Question, how is this done? Is it similar update, that only adds new level definition files or it is new compiled app which is installed on existing one. For example, if I'm saving game progress in Gideros Document folder, when installing new version, will it be overwritten?
Tagged:

Comments

• How did you get the notification? From the App Store app on the device? If so, when you actioned that the updated version of the app was installed over the top of the existing version, but kept everything the app had already saved. That's the way app updates work.

However, there's no reason why you can't implement the same system as you have done before on Android if it's what you're happy working with.

Generally I'd think that apps on iOS and Android would upload a new version of the app - as far as I know, Android does the same when you install an update - keeps the current information the app has saved when installed an updated version of the app. For bug fixes etc. you'd have to issue an updated app, on iOS or Android.

Hope that helps.
  • Thanks,
    Well implementing own updating system was a bit of a pain. If stored information is really kept, that it would be much simpler to make new releases.

It's good to find, that you were doing something wrong way, when you find out that right way is much easier. :)