Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Corona went free! - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

Corona went free!

2»

Comments

• petecpetec Member
    The new documentation looks very helpful.

When I started with Corona (before I'd found Gideros) I knew nothing about lua or what sort of things I could do with it. Because of that, I found that the Corona API reference that listed all of the API functions (e.g. Event.new, Event:getType and so on) on a single page really useful. It meant that I could see the things that might be possible without having to keep expanding sections and that helped me guess what I might want to try (even though it then involved a whole lot of trial and error!).

Also the grouping of the APIs under general headings helped in that respect, even though the groupings are sometimes rather oddly distributed. At least I could often get in the right general area.

I wonder if something similar might be handy for people coming to Gideros with as little idea as I had when I started with Corona - I know that I'd still find it handy :)
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    @OZApps well both approaches have some advantages and disadvantages.

Separate pages fore each API function, would reduce the amount needed to load for specific API, but on the other hand loading all in one page, may make slower start load, but after that you can switch between api functions seamlessly.

Again separate pages would be much better from SEO point of view, however all in one page is easier to deliver offline with the IDE, rather then providing hundreds of separate html files.

So as I said it's a thing that needs a little thinking through, but current documents are also auto-generated, so there is an option to migrate the documents either way.

@petec yes that is also a great idea and might be suitable for the start page :)
  • PlatypusPlatypus Member
    edited April 2013
    Regarding
    Corona has one *very good* thing IMO: thorough documetation with detailed examples, snippets,...

hint hint :))
    :

I agree, but,...Gideros has @Ar2rsawseen (and many other* friendly, hospitable experts) on the forums. Any specific problem anyone posts is likely to be met with patient, friendly, jovial, PERSONALISED code coaching, which can immediately be implemented and studied for future use. This saves time as you stay on track with your project instead of getting distracted by other interesting items in the documentation.

Like many other Gider(osi)ans, I started with Corona, but searched for an alternative the moment I was met with hostility on the forums after questioning a misleading demonstration of how allegedly simple their code is.

Also, importantly, UNTIL NOW one COULD NOT PUBLISH APPS FOR FREE with Corona. What they are doing NOW is TRYING TO CATCH UP to Gideros. Gideros offers a better product; with an integrated I.D.E; with friendly, personalised help; for FREE.

When I finish my first app, I will be extremely proud to display the Gideros splash screen. In fact, I dare say I'll even feel disappointed at its removal when I finally earn enough money to pay for Gideros.

Thank you to all the Cetins and Arturs.

With Much Gratitude,
    Platypus

*(such as @Scouser, @BowerAndy, @Atilim, et al)
    Kate's Catalogue of Travelling Theatre Centres :
    Meet Kate. Grey is her favourite colour. Maths is her favourite subject. Decency is her favourite type of behaviour.
    She definitely does not like jewellery or modelling, but loves aeroplanes and other machines made of aluminium.
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Hey Platypus, being a paid user you could still show your love to Gideros by displaying its logo or some sort of credit by yourself :)

That's what I've done ("Made with Gideros Studio" is displayed in the Credits section in my games such as Game42, Evolush,...) :D
  • Good call, @Phongtt.

By the way, I have been stuck on Level 1-6 of Cerberus for a while now! Any hints?
    Also, do you have any plans for a 2-player game (similar to Game 4 2) for the iPhone?

Oops - I went off-topic,... Arturs-style!
    Meet Kate. Grey is her favourite colour. Maths is her favourite subject. Decency is her favourite type of behaviour.
    She definitely does not like jewellery or modelling, but loves aeroplanes and other machines made of aluminium.
  • In a vain effort to take every topic "off topic" - just wanted to say a big "well done" to @ar2rsawseen for the sterling work done on the docs. :)

WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • @OZApps well both approaches have some advantages and disadvantages.

Separate pages fore each API function, would reduce the amount needed to load for specific API, but on the other hand loading all in one page, may make slower start load, but after that you can switch between api functions seamlessly.

Again separate pages would be much better from SEO point of view, however all in one page is easier to deliver offline with the IDE, rather then providing hundreds of separate html files.

So as I said it's a thing that needs a little thinking through, but current documents are also auto-generated, so there is an option to migrate the documents either way.
    Actually, if it is a database, then you do not need to deliver the same as series of HTML files. I had asked Gorkem if there was a database of the API to create an offline app which would be quite useful.

Anyways as I do agree with you on the fact that it is ultimately on you and Gideros Mobile as to how you want to manage it. If you are able to provide an API so that other developers can use it or integrate it in their apps.
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited April 2013
    @OZApps I think your last point just made my decision :D
    Let me consult with others to see if we are on the same page here, but you mister just have won an argument :)

• Good call, @Phongtt.

By the way, I have been stuck on Level 1-6 of Cerberus for a while now! Any hints?
    Also, do you have any plans for a 2-player game (similar to Game 4 2) for the iPhone?

Oops - I went off-topic,... Arturs-style!
    You just put 2 tiles as a zigzag then Cerberus can climb.
    Game42 v1.3.0 was submitted last week, it will be Unversal. Hopefully it can go live by the end of this week.

sorry for the off-topic :ar!

• Thanks, @PhongTT.

• I am a little surprised they did this. Surely they will lose most of their income. I suspect most developers make less than $599 per year from apps so there seems little incentive to go for the pro version. I guess they are feeling the pinch from free alternatives. I noticed a while ago, when I was transitioning to Gideros, that the Corona forums went very quiet for a while, like a ghost town. So maybe lots of people are jumping ship and they had no choice. Certainly they are not doing this out of altruism!
    Yes, it all seem to start when Pelam left, she was great in forums and helping people, then there CEO had a business focus to Corporate, and she left, at the same time, many changed to other platforms, went native, or Maui.

We can stay ahead if we can get the Windows 8 version out, there would be greate advantage in getting apps onto windows 8 platform asap.

REAL programmers type copy con filename.exe
    ---------------------------------------
  • Hey, and remember, Corona still requires you to upload your code for there build.....
    REAL programmers type copy con filename.exe
    ---------------------------------------
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    Yep, WP8 would be a major win against Corona Sdk.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • It looks like we'll not have WP8 in this year.
  • I've been developing on Gideros recently but went back to Corona for a short while to update some of my old apps and make them more "OOP" and I can tell you that OOP in Corona with display objects and especially its very limited lua wrapper around box2d, is a major, major pain to work with compared to Gideros. I am just in a rush to finish updating those Corona apps to get back to working with Gideros :)
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook