Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Problems with ZeroBrane editor on Mac — Gideros Forum

Problems with ZeroBrane editor on Mac

AhBadianeAhBadiane Member
edited March 2013 in General questions
Hello,

I use the editor ZeroBrane since yesterday. It is best for debugging ;)
I am running on Mac 10.8.3 and ZeroBrane 0.35 & MobDebug 0517

I have 2 problems:

1) The editor is very slow to react (scrolling pages, enter text, auto-complete)

2) I have a tool clipboard (iClipboard ver 4.1.8) and when it is loaded, the editor ZeroBrane crash, every cut/paste
(Process: lua [1885]
Path: /Applications/ZeroBraneStudio.app/Contents/ZeroBraneStudio/bin/lua.app/Contents/MacOS/lua
Identifier: lua)

Nobody has that kind of problem, especially slow on Mac [-O<
AhBadiane
Tagged:

Comments

• bowerandybowerandy Guru
    edited March 2013
    @AhBadiane, in the dim and distant past I seem to remember having a similar slowdown issue. I can't find the details right now but as far as I can remember it was to do with the fact that I had changed the ZBS font. When I put the default font back the problem went away.

Alternatively, if that doesn't fix it you might get a response from @paulclinger who is the author of ZBS. He may also have some insight into your second issue.

best regards
  • @AhBadiane, @bowerandy is correct, as far as I remember it was related to using Tacoma font (and maybe couple of other fonts). You may want to set Courier New or Monaco (http://studio.zerobrane.com/doc-editor-preferences.html).

The next version (0.36) is not expected to have this problem (and has overall performance improvements too). If the font change doesn't help, I'll ask you to test the pre-release version from github.

As for the second issue, I'll get iClipboard and will try to reproduce to see what I can do.
  • yes, just change the font size (12 -> 13) slowed editor, staying with Courier New font
    But the company is still slow in comparison with the publisher Gideros
    AhBadiane
  • bowerandybowerandy Guru
    edited March 2013
    @AhBadiane glad that got you sorted.
    But the company is still slow in comparison with the publisher Gideros
    What do you mean? Are you saying that ZBS is still much slower than the native Gideros IDE on a Mac. I agree it is somewhat slower in use but it's hardly noticeable on my Mac.

best regards
  • yes, my poor english said "ZBS is still much Slower than the native Gideros IDE on a Mac" :-SS
    AhBadiane
  • paulclingerpaulclinger Member
    edited March 2013
    @AhBadiane, I just made a pre-release version available that includes some performance improvements (and should be less sensitive to fonts and their sizes). Can you check out the version from the repository and let me know if it feels better for you? Just run:

git clone https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio.git ZeroBraneStudio
    (cd ZeroBraneStudio; ./zbstudio.sh)

It should not affect your current version you may have in /Applications. The new version makes improvements for faster tab and project switching, but should also work better for scrolling and typing.
  • AhBadianeAhBadiane Member
    edited March 2013
    @paul, the new version makes improvements for faster tab.
    ZeroBrane editor on Mac becomes a pleasure.

I have a problem with the launch of Gideros player on Mac. I get the message:
    --Programme démarré en tant que '"/Applications/Gideros Studio/Gideros Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Gideros Player"'.
    --Programme 'Gideros Player' démarré dans '/Users/XXXXXX/Documents/Gideros/Snake Breakout' (pid : 6119).
    --Starting the player and waiting for the bridge to connect at '/Applications/Gideros Studio/Gideros Studio.app/Contents/Tools/gdrbridge'.
    --Couldn't connect after 12 attempts. Try again or check starting the player manually.
    --Programme terminé en 3.15 secondes (pid : 6119).
    The solution is to manually launch Gideros player. A second player is run by Gideros ZBE and then everything works correctly.

Another small problem: the launch of ZBE the lua files are displayed horizontally scroll.

And still the problem with iClipboard
    AhBadiane
  • @ahbadiane, glad to hear the new version is faster.

> The solution is to manually launch Gideros player. A second player is run by Gideros ZBE and then everything works correctly.

This may happen if you have Gideros IDE open. I noticed that in some cases the Gideros bridge will refuse to connect to the player when the IDE is opened. Maybe @atilim can help; I remember there was a discussion to fix this...

> Another small problem: the launch of ZBE the lua files are displayed horizontally scroll.

Can you explain in more detail what the issue is or provide a screenshot?

> And still the problem with iClipboard

I installed the application, but so far don't see any issue or a conflict with ZBS. Can you describe the steps that allow me to reproduce the problem? Thanks.

Paul.
  • > The launch of the lua files are ZBE Displayed scroll horizontally:
    Just when launching ZBE. See the screenshot

> The problem with iClipboard:
    Cmd + C in the editor ZBE. See the screenshot
    Screenshot1.jpg
    1058 x 892 - 125K
    Screenshot2.jpg
    476 x 389 - 59K
    AhBadiane
  • paulclingerpaulclinger Member
    Accepted Answer
    @AhBadiane,

The first issue has been fixed in the repository; will be included in 0.36. Thank you for reporting.

The second issue is a bit trickier. There is not much I can do in ZBS, as it seems to be an issue with iClipboard sandboxing (here is a description of a similar issue with another application: http://www.topazlabs.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-11921.html). You may be running iClipboard installed from Mac AppStore, which may have more sandboxing restrictions than a "regular" iClipboard version. I tried this with iClipboard installed from their website (not through AppStore) and didn't see this or any other issue with using it. I could copy text back and forth without any messages. You may want to try the trial version from iClipboard website just to make sure that this is indeed the reason for this.

Paul.