Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
H4ch1 there :D — Gideros Forum

H4ch1 there :D

H4ch1H4ch1 Member
edited February 2012 in Introduce yourself
Greetings Everyone,
I'm Cristian, an italian freelance developer. One of my customers yesterday pointed me out to Gideros Mobile, and this morning this was running on my iPhone 3GS :)
I come from another lua SDK, and I found the transition more than smooth. First of all, I'm really hooked :D
I'm loving Gideros. Great performance, the compactness (is this even an english word? xD) of lua, the class approach used by the SDK, the testing-through-wifi, everything. I'm mostly intrigued by the plugin support, which is one of the feature I always wanted with lua based SDK. At the moment, the Runner Template took less than 200 lines of code, which is great.
I still have to dig all the features, but it surely will become my first platform choice, at least for those games requiring a big amount of objects on screen (amazed by the tiledmap smoothness (: ).
About the Runner Template, I can't afford to release it for free (freelancing is my daily work, and my only source of income), but the price would be in line with the other versions, so it should be pretty affordable. I'll be sure to get back to the community with some free content, as soon as I get the chance (:
It still has a long way to go, adding main player, enemies, score, but with Gideros it shouldn't take much (;
Cheers,

Cristian

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Hi Christian,

Glad to see you here, and thanks for your compliments. I believe you'll give a lot of insights to Gideros Studio community as an experienced mobile app developer.

Your parallax video is a strong proof of how fast Gideros Studio is :) Other devs in the forum also compared Gideros with other different frameworks, Gideros Studio seemed like the best choice in terms of performance, speed, ease and efficiency.

We'd love to see you sell your small code snippets, in order to leverage Gideros community, and provide a sustainable ecosystem towards making application development fun and easy. I believe porting them and serving as Gideros Studio templates will be easy.

Thanks again, and good luck with your business! :)
  • GregBUGGregBUG Guru
    edited February 2012
    Hi Cristian and welcome >:D<
    yes,
    Gideros has really great performances (on android too even on old device)

and the support and the forum comunity is the best out there! :)

ciao
    Gianluca.
    TNT ENGiNE for Gideors Studio - Particle Engine, Virtual Pad, Animator Studio, Collision Engine - DOWNLOAD NOW !!! IT'S FREE!!! -
    www.tntengine.com
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Christian, I'd like to know your initial thoughts about

- Speed of the generated code
    - Efficiency of the underlying framework (both IDE and SDK)
    - Usability of the API and IDE

And maybe most importantly, are there any issues you've encountered? Getting more information about "out of box experience" would be a huge asset for us towards making our product better and serving the community well.

Thank you.

• Hi Cristian,
    Very impressive, I knew it wouldn't take you long to get going with Gideros :). I guess I'll wait for you to finish the Runner template for this system :). Have a great day!

Sid
    Don't forget to have fun :)
  • @gorkem
    At the moment I'm more than impressed (:
    The code runs fast, and the only thing I can see is the little hiccups of when the lua garbage collector kicks in. I like the idea of separating the events like touch for each action (down, up, move), avoiding the usual if -> string compare or table lookup thing.
    I totally love the gideros class system. It makes managing scenes very easy, and it lets me keep my code cleaner and in order, although I'm still writing a Director Class to manage transitions between scenes, add pop ups and other things without getting the code redundant.
    For animation, I didn't find a full "out of the box" solution that could satisfy all my needs (change animations on the fly, change speed, knowing when a sequence is playing, and so on), so I'm writing an animation manager.
    I really like the IDE. Writing lua code is much better. The only thing I would want is a feature that would copy all the files of my project in a specific folder, copying images, sounds and everything else.
    Last but not least, Lua is easy and compact, and Gideros does its best to make me able to do lots with very few lines of code.
    It's just my first day using Gideros, so it's soon for me to give a proper thought on everything, but if this is the first day, I can't wait for the first month :D
    @strancali Thank you, hope you will like it (;
  • strancalistrancali Member
    edited February 2012
    Cristian, since you're at it, can you make a template for 1/8 of your brain? I would like to have a ready made system to plug in my head and get going with Gideros :-bd :-bd :-bd
  • Cristian, since you're at it, can you make a template for 1/8 of your brain? I would like to have a ready made system to plug in my head and get going with Gideros :-bd :-bd :-bd
    lol.

Mike

What would you do for your other half?

http://www.sharksoupstudios.com
  • H4ch1H4ch1 Member
    edited February 2012
    Lol, no big brain unfortunately xD, just much experience with lua :D And obviously Gideros merits!
    I didn't have much time this evening to spare for the template, but I made some progress (:
    I messed around with physics, I like the controls that Gideros gives over it, although it requires a little more work (;
    Also, I finished writing the class for animation management.
    Implementation is pretty similar to what you can see elsewhere:
    local obj = GCanimObj:init(imgTab);
    ImgTab is a table that contains texture. You can place in it any type of texture you want, Pack or not.
    Then you can add animation to it like this:
    obj:addAnim("nameOfAnim", {2, 3, 4}, 10, 0);
    "nameOfAnim" is the name of the animation.
    The table as second parameter, contains exactly how the animation must be played, frame by frame. The numbers relates to the order of the texture inside the previous imgTab. You can for example make it like {1, 2, 3, 2, 1}, with no performance problem, since there aren't more images created.
    The third parameter is the speed between each frame. For example, a 6 frame animation with speed 10, will take 60 enterFrame event to be played fully.
    The last parameter refer to how many times the animation must loop. 0 means endless, while 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on will play the full animation that set amount of time.
    Once this is done, you simply use
    obj:prepare("nameOfAnim");
    and
    obj:play();
    to play the animation. To check if an animation is playing, you can check obj.animating, while to check for the name of the animation currently set, you can check obj.sequence.
    Lol, big wall of text :D
    Btw, here's the video of the current progress. The player is added and is fully working. Now what's left is enemies, pause, lives and an ending screen (:

Cheers,
    Cristian

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Nice! I can't wait :). I'm pretty sure as time goes on with Gideros, codes will be smaller and smaller :)

Sid