Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Trouble getting started ("HelloBall") — Gideros Forum

Trouble getting started ("HelloBall")

TenthTenth Member
edited November 2011 in Bugs and issues
I was just walking through the first tutorial:

http://www.giderosmobile.com/documentation/getting_started.html

and at the point where you run the Gideros Player, I get this:

-------------
LOCAL IP INFO:

-------------

and that's all. Seems like something's missing. The start and stop icons remain greyed out, so I can't go any further. Anything I can do? It seems like it can't connect, but I've disabled my firewall and it hasn't helped.

Dislikes: mefisto

+1 -1 (+0 / -1 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Now click on the "play" button on the editor
  • The play button remains greyed out. That's what I meant by the start button. The additional lines given in the tutorial "0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, etc." aren't showing up, which suggested to me that it was trying to connect via loopback but failing. But I don't know why that would be and maybe I'm just wrong anyway.

Running Windows XP, for the record.
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    Gideros Studio and Gideros Player connects through port 15000. Maybe there is another application that is binded to port 15000.

Can you download TCPView here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437 and look if there is another program that uses port 15000?
    You can sort by "Local Port" to find 15000 easily
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    The additional lines given in the tutorial "0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, etc." aren't showing up,
    In fact the lines showing 0.0.0.0 is due to a bug, and it was fixed in the version you are currently using.
  • Hmm. Well an errant opera.exe process was showing up in TCPView that I had to end manually. After that, closing Gilderos Player and Studio and restarting them seems to have solved it.

Previously, I had restarted Gelderos Player several times but not the studio, so I suspect that's what made the difference rather than Opera. Guess I wasn't as thorough as I should have been. You folks are speedy though, thanks.
    I'm glad the problem is solved. Sometimes I also open and close Gideros Studio when the connection cannot be established.
  • Just downloaded Gideros Studios and I have the same problem - player button inactive. Is the port configurable or is it hardcoded to 15000?

TCPView is a Windows program and won't work on Mac.
    Port is hardcoded. Try disabling firewalls if you have any.
    Also if you have a conflict with any other program on port 15000, we can change it with the next version.
  • @gorkem - shouldn't have to disable a firewall to run an application.

My temp solution is to uninstall Gideros and maybe try another time. Back to my current IDE but also tried other environments without such issues.
    Gideros is not a simple application - it has a client-server architecture that gives you considerable development speed. Just like other apps with similar architecture, you either need to disable firewall, or add an exception (though this depeds on your fw).

Still you can use Gideros without the player, by exporting the code and running it using xcode/eclipse.

I'd suggest you try it again - game development is a hard and lengthy process and Gideros Studio can cut this time a lot. Other environments do not have this wonderful ability, this is why you didnt bump into this issue.

Believe me, its worth trying out.
  • Also if you have a conflict with any other program on port 15000, we can change it with the next version.
    Make it an option. Others seem to have no problems with it and you could create new problems for them.
  • @gorkem - shouldn't have to disable a firewall to run an application.

My temp solution is to uninstall Gideros and maybe try another time. Back to my current IDE but also tried other environments without such issues.
    To my knowledge, the way Gideros handles the transfering is unique. I have tested/used AGK, Corona, GLBasic, Monkey, GameMaker Studio, etc. and none of them work like Gideros does. Some even don't support automatic transmittion to a player app on a device.
    Also Gideros has the quickest and most flawless implementation. Testing a new version of your code within 1-5 seconds is fast.