Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
=-=-=-= 8-BIT NOSTALGIA =-=-=-= — Gideros Forum

=-=-=-= 8-BIT NOSTALGIA =-=-=-=

gorkemgorkem Maintainer
edited April 2012 in Relax cafe
Most of us have owned 8-bit computers in the past, and it's time to share our past experiences, good old days, nice projects, demos, intros, youtube links, maybe some code - everything that reminds us 80's.

Let's remember! :)

Comments

• GregBUGGregBUG Guru
    edited April 2012
    this is a game that i coded some years ago 2006 (sorry but only PC)

placed a 4th place at "devcrunch christmas copetition"...

it's 320x240 resolution (can not work well in modern system)
    and remember me my old good days!!! :)

it's an old school game!!!

try it!.

maybe i can convert for mobile devices.... ;)

edit: it's possible that don't work on win 7 64bit ... :(
    rar
    rar
    Christmas_Adventures_2006.rar
    4M
    TNT ENGiNE for Gideors Studio - Particle Engine, Virtual Pad, Animator Studio, Collision Engine - DOWNLOAD NOW !!! IT'S FREE!!! -
    www.tntengine.com
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    like it! worked on 32-bit win 7 :) \:D/
  • ScouserScouser Guru
    edited April 2012
    I have to admit that the 8 bit (and to some extent 16 bit) classics are my inspiration for the mobile arena. I may be a little jaded in my view but having worked on titles such as Return of the Jedi, Vindicators, Dragon Spirit (all CPC) and quite a few lesser known titles (including some dross which I won't mention), I feel that games nowadays concentrate more on looks than playability :(.

I prefer the simple games that have the just one more go feel to them ;) and require a bit of thought to progress. Game designers from that era knew what made a game playable, just look at Ultimate Play The Game and some of their games like JetPac, Atic Atac & Sabre Wulf. These were some of the best games produced and still have appeal for me.

@GregBUG:You're game does work on 64bit Win 7, I have just tried it. :D

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • petecpetec Member
    edited April 2012
    Graet - it worked on 64 bit win 7 as well! (Edit: Oh, too late with that news)

Reminded me that I never did complete Manic Miner on my Spectrum :(

I found that I naturally entered DAD in the high score table as that's what I used to do when playing with my children on the Spectrum. My eldest is called Oliver and he still spells his name Oly as a left over from when you could only enter 3 letters for you name.
  • GregBUGGregBUG Guru
    edited April 2012
    this is one of my favorites on my old c64:

forbidden forest!!!!

ahhh! I'm getting old!
    TNT ENGiNE for Gideors Studio - Particle Engine, Virtual Pad, Animator Studio, Collision Engine - DOWNLOAD NOW !!! IT'S FREE!!! -
    www.tntengine.com
    My favorite ones are ATF and Saboteur on Amstrad, Iron Lord and Creatures 1/2 on C64. It seems I'll install a bunch of emulators today :)
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Didnt know about Forbidden Forest :)

My favorites were:

C64: International Karate, Last Ninja 2, Barbarian, Bruce Lee, Impossible Mission, Creatures 2, RIVER RAID!, Mayhem in Monsterland, Zaxxon, Pitstop, Wizard of Wor, Blue Max, Boulder Dash, Uridium

Amstrad: Saboteur, Air Tactical Fighter (ATF) - we played this for hours and hours with Atilim, Turrican, Gryzor, Robocop, Exolon

• My first game was "Star Wars" on ZX-81, but that had only ASCII art (but was really playable!). One of my first ZX Spectrum games was JetPac, it would not be difficult to recreate it for Gideros (except for graphics, which is not my domain).

I have "ported" another (almost ascii-art style) ZX Spectrum game for love2d (another lua-based game framework): https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3605 One day I will port it to Gideros, should take just a couple of hours at most (the most difficult part would be handling user input).

I still do have Commodore 128D, but not using it... But never heard of this Forbidden Forest.
  • Elite - 'nuff said!
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    :-O When I laid my hands on computer for the first time, it had Windows XP on it.
  • evsevs Member
    Spectrum with a massive 48K ram - Z80 Book http://www.z80.info/zip/zaks_book.pdf - Picturesque assembler - Heaven!
    Z80.jpg
    325 x 500 - 31K
    Picturesque.png
    415 x 270 - 212K
    Spectrum48K.png
    325 x 244 - 92K

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
    Zaks' book!!! That was a masterpiece!
  • @evs
    zx spectrum 48k... i loved it !!!! with a gummy keyboard!!!!
    fantastic!!!

www.tntengine.com
  • @gorkem: Programming the Z80 by Rodney Zaks, the programmers bible. & I can still assemble Z80 in my head. I remember hardcore programming by hand assembling the code and typing the resulting hex data direct to disc sectors on the TRS-80. Them was the days :))

edited April 2012
    @Scouser :D We haven't known what assembler is in those days. And I wrote the assembly codes on paper and extracted the opcodes by hand. (and calculating the relative jmp offsets... uhh..)

Do you know a good assembler for Amstrad CPC? :P
  • @atilim: I wrote my own but when developing commercial stuff I seem to remember using Edtasm under CP/M on Amstrad PCW-9512, although as it was CP/M it worked just as well on the CPC-6128.
    writing your own assembler.. whoa ^:)^ I remember we were booting CP/M only for its horrible pascal compiler.
  • ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

@atilim and @scouser

our lords
    keepers of "black magic assembly" knowledge!!!

My respect to you !

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    www.tntengine.com
  • GregBUGGregBUG Guru
    edited April 2012
    ok. let's go with 16-BIT nostalgia...

after my C64 (the fat brown one! not the "modern" white slim)
    i had an Amiga 500
    and this video has touched me...

ahhh!! I'm sure my son will never appreciate these games! ...

www.tntengine.com
  • evsevs Member
    @atilim I suppose you have the winAPE http://winape.net/features.jsp emulator with included assembler / dissassembler compatible with Maxam???

PS I shouldn't encourage you, as you may be distracted from your Gideros coding!!!!

cheers

evs
    PDF
    PDF
    MAXAM.PDF
  • Just been remembering, another book I used extensively was The Complete
    SPECTRUM ROM DISASSEMBLY
    which I used to write my own high speed cassette loader routines and two channel sound effects and four channel (chords really) music players. Also wrote a 50 fps pixel scrolling proof of concept on both spectrum & CPC machines.
  • evsevs Member
    I also had this book in the 80's - Bought it again a few years back in a library sale for 15p
    or €0.18 / 20¢
    SpectrumMachineLanguageForTheAbsoluteBeginner.jpg
    126 x 192 - 8K
  • Any Spectrum developer will definitely recollect this one

LD HL,16384
    LD DE, 16384
    LD BC,6144
    LD(HL),0
    LDIR
    RET

Which I can still recollect the op codes as I spend hours first printing the memory locations and the contents on screen and writing them on paper, then converting them into the appropriate op codes, sometime it also was about drawing the same on screen to rip the graphics (once you got an idea where the graphics were in memory, and their masks)

Those were the days... before the OPUS and Disciple interfaces.
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • evsevs Member
    @OZApps aaaah cls

--begin saddo moment

Rumour has it that Sir Clive called his disaster on wheels the C5, because it is Hex for the mnemonic PUSH BC (Pushbike)

--end saddo moment

cheers

evs

• MagnusviriMagnusviri Member
    edited April 2012
    I don't think I've recovered from growing up... What I find absolutely amazing is that I knew very few of the 16-bit games that GregBug posted. I took a vacation from computers in the 90's and it shows.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I just spent the last few hours finding all of these games. Some Atari 400, Mac, C64, Amiga, Genesis and SNES. Here are games that I remember very strongly.

Star Raider:

Dark Castle:

Shufflepuck Café

Crystal Quest:

Boulder Dash:

(iPad version: http://www.lesbird.com/EmeraldMine/)

M.U.L.E.

Rampart:

Elite:

Archon:

Test Drive:

Load Runner:

Jumpman:

Airborn Rangers:

Rad Warrior (I've been trying to find this game since I found emulators 10 years ago...):

Prince of Persia (I read a few weeks ago that the author just found the source code to this after thinking it was lost this whole time):

Rescue on Fractalus:

BC Quest For Tires

The Bards Tale

Samantha Fox Strip Poker (My brothers were not suppose to have this game... And they didn't let me get very far...)

Winter Games

Movie Monster Game

Sentinel:

Starglider:

Law Of The West

Goonies

Racing Destruction Set

Battle Chess

Another World (I never got far in this one but it was such a different sort of game)

PSI-5 Trading Company (I have been looking for this for so long, I finally found it tonight!)

Red Zone:

Zombies ate my Neighbors

I'm not including links to Skate or Die, the many pinball games, Oregan Trails, Lemonade stand, Pitfall, Pong (I had one amazingly--but it was a hand me down lol), some game about robbing fort knox, a mouse game on the Vic-20 that played the 3 blind mice song (whatever it's name was), and a biplane game on the Vic-20. I can't believe I can still remember that stuff. I remember this stuff better than I remember my vacations.

Oh my gosh, so many games... I'm having a hard time not listing the arcade games like R-Type, Smash TV, Marble Madness, Rampage, TMNT, oh my I'm listing them... I will be strong though and just post this and finally go to bed!

As far as modern games go, the only ones I really think I'll remember are the Nintendo classics and Halo lol. Are there even games on Xbox besides Halo?...

Edited to add a few titles and fix a link. Oh and I forgot Zork, and Wumpus, Gorf, Defender, Zaxxon, oh no someone stop me!!

I only can remember law of the west and samantha fox strip poker. I think children in different parts of the world played almost entirely different games.
  • @GregBug, ah Forbidden Forest! I can remember buying that in a games store and playing it for ages. That was a gem.
  • Any Spectrum developer will definitely recollect this one

LD HL,16384
    LD DE, 16384
    LD BC,6144
    LD(HL),0
    LDIR
    RET
    Unfortunately @OZApps, that won't clear the screen, the second line should read
    LD DE,16385
    and the third line should read
    LD BC,6143
    for just the screen or
    LD BC,6911
    to clear screen and attributes

The hex values for clearing screen and attributes would be
    21 00 40 11 01 40 01 ff 1a ed b0 c9
    :D

As for the list of games, The Sentinel was an awesome game.

• katzekatze Member
    The good olt times, i still got my c64.
    But i did not touched it for like 10 years :(