Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Hot Buttered — Gideros Forum

Hot Buttered

Hi Guys,

Here's a video of my work in progress game Hot Buttered:

It's still pretty rough around the edges, so I'd be grateful to get your feedback on what I should improve first. Thanks!

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• antixantix Member
    edited June 2016
    Hey that's pretty cool. Have you considered animating the pot more? It could possibly sway gently about near the middle top part of the display. I look forward to hearing the popping noise as the pot makes more popcorn :)

It needs some background also. What were your ideas for that? My initial thought was it could be vertical scrolling parallax clouds (clouds scrolling downwards). See my attachment. I suppose that would kind of make it a flying popcorn catching game, dunno if that's what you envisioned.

Regardless.. you need to get a background in there quickly :)
    popcorn_clouds.png
    203 x 360 - 57K

• hotbutteredhotbuttered Member
    edited June 2016
    @antix thanks! So I understand you correctly - are you suggesting centering the pot horizontally and then have it wobble back and forth slightly? Do you mean as if it were hanging from a chain?

Hehe yes, I didn't include sound in the video because I have only placeholder sound effects right now. I plan to record some good sounds for popping, sizzling, and crunching, and also add theme music :)
  • totebototebo Member
    Reminds me of a physics version of this legendary game, which is probably the first game I owned:

http://www.gameandwatchnow.com/images/games/PR-21.jpg
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • Hmm yeah good idea about the background @antix. My original concept for the art was that it represents one of those retro popcorn machines, e.g. the red borders are the walls of the machine. But a background does make the visuals pop a little more. Thanks for taking the time to mock up that image :)
  • @totebo very cool. My original inspiration for the gameplay was this Atari 2600 game:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaboom!_(video_game)
  • antixantix Member
    @hotbuttered, yep kind of like that. I think if it were drifting about the top portion of the screen in a sideways figure 8 pattern would look cool, like this attachment.
    popcorn_clouds.png
    203 x 360 - 59K

• simwhisimwhi Member
    The popcorn could also explode in a shower of popcorn ever so often.
  • @simwhi I like your idea about showers of popcorn, thanks. I was thinking that maybe eating the colored popcorn could spawn a mini-shower of more popcorn to eat?
    edited June 2016
    @antix I took your advice on the background and on the moving pot. (Okay, the pot only moves side to side at the moment ;) )

What do you guys think of this second prototype? What should I improve next? Your feedback is very helpful, thanks!
  • talistalis Guru
    edited June 2016
    @hotbuttered ok my comments:

-Background, like this much more better.
    -About the pot as @simvhi suggested while the corn is popping you can shake the pot also. It will be a good effect.
    -Within the level the speed can change a little bit just to give some adrenaline to the user.
    The more simultaneous catch you will make the more hotter the pot will be and the more popping. And the user can get extra points. From time to time you can pop some special corns like caramel corn which has extra points.
    If your concept is already clouds, you can do such scenario:
    -The game started with a slow popping. And the background will be normal blue weather and white clouds.
    -The more you catch the more hotter so the background starts to change and sun start to seen, and you can transform the color to a little bit yellowish. Of course you can add a shaking sun and combo started.
    And whenever you start to miss to catch the corns simultaneously the weather again transforms to normal and popping slowly and points will decrease.
    edited June 2016
    @talis Ah yes I like the idea of shaking the pot a bit when there's a pop. I will experiment with that!

I have put in some special (colored) kernels that are worth more points, but maybe the colors should be more obvious. Also, I now realize that it should be more obvious that they are worth extra points :) Hmm maybe I'll flash a little number above the point of impact when the player eats one of these special kernels...

The weather idea is interesting too. I had been thinking about gradually changing the sky color as the player levels up, but your idea is pretty cool. Thanks for all the ideas!
  • antixantix Member
    @hotbuttered, looking cool with the clouds and moving pot. A tip for the clouds.. In my current project also have clouds moving down the screen. To give the illusion of more varied graphics, when the cloud is placed at the top of the screen.. just randomly swap it's x scale. That makes my 4 cloud graphics look like 8.

I like when he catches fire :D