Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
The Gideros community is ALIVE — Gideros Forum

The Gideros community is ALIVE

totebototebo Member
edited September 2015 in Relax cafe
I'm noticing more and more activity on the forums. A lot of Gideros devs out there making magic. Awesome!

That was all. :)
My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
+1 -1 (+14 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Is very cool! I remember when I was looking for a good sdk to develop games, my computer is very old but with Gideros all the work runs very smooth I love it! Thanks Gideros staff for all and all the community! You are great!

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    edited September 2015
    Absolutely, I think it's clear that Gideros is getting bigger and better after open sourcing and so more people are finding out about it and making great apps. Making it completely free also lowers the barrier to entry of course! And now there are many more export targets and much more powerful graphics possibilities.

I'd also like to see some of the early forum contributors return as well: @Scouser, @bowerandy, @Mells, @moopf, @techdojo, if you guys are out there, it'd be great to hear from you again!

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Hear hear!

• It's great to see more active users on the forum. We have a great community and excellent user contributions. I think we'll get a lot more developers in the very near future.
  • Hi all. After releasing an app for the charity Cats Protection (made with Gideros), well over a year ago now, I haven't actually done any mobile development, instead concentrating on my normal tech work.

I think that app is still available and another dev has taken over recently. App is here, though:

http://www.cats.org.uk/catmatch/

Really good to see Gideros moving on again - maybe I'll develop another game at some point.
  • @moopf, nice graphics in that cat game, similar to guy delisle's comics.
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited March 2016
    I'd also like to see some of the early forum contributors return as well. if you guys are out there, it'd be great to hear from you again!
    Hey @john26, I'm checking the forums from time to time (every x months) and haven't had much time to develop apps these days, focusing on other projects (and needs).

I'm still thinking about using Gideros again if I had more time for it, but I'm not sure how much time it would take to get back to it (new features? changes in the API? what's new and what's broken?) which is why I've been looking at other options.

Unfortunately when I check the forums often the latest posts contain "crash" or "issue" in the title.
    Indeed the forums are here to provide *help* to users. And I know that people who encounter no issue do not take some of their time to write about it.
    But it still leaves a strange impression : "is that the tool that will help me achieve what I want when I get the opportunity?" More questions than answers.

Blog posts with visuals will probably provide a better understanding of what the engine is really capable of.
    Also, I would really like to see a status report about what is broken/currently being reviewed so that I know if those features are deal-breaker or not for a future project.

As @keszegh said in another discussion, getting news from time to time even if I'm not ready 'yet' is something that I would subscribe to.

But don't misunderstand me : there is a reason why I come back here from time to time :)
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • NinjadoodleNinjadoodle Member
    edited March 2016
    Hi Guys

I've been silently checking out the forums for a couple of years, while working on html5 projects. Only a couple of weeks ago, have I completely switched to Gideros as a one stop shop. This community is awesome and I love seeing it grow.

@Mells - I've used/tried a few engines in the past few years, and to be honest, I can't name a single one where the topics - "crash" or "issue" aren't among the top posts :) I guess that's what we get when technology is always moving and the software has to keep up.

It's awesome being part of this community and I absolutely love using Gideros. Can't wait to publish my first game in a few weeks :)
    +1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    I agree, most issue posts are people (like me) who just don;t know how to use some feature properly. This is where improved documentation and tutorials will help a lot.

Crashes I dunno about, I never get those.. except for my one line program that crashes the player instantly 8-}

It really is good to see there is a lot more activity in the forums now, and I'm looking forward to releasing something in the next few months (*)
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited March 2016
    @Mells I've used/tried a few engines in the past few years, and to be honest, I can't name a single one where the topics - "crash" or "issue" aren't among the top posts
    @Ninjadoodle which is exactly what I was saying :) I guess we agree that's not an issue when the best features are also put in front of visitors.
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited March 2016
    I was planing to develop a Texas Poker Holdem multiplayer game with part of logic in server (java or nodejs) and part in Gideros. ¿Someone interested to make a team for it?
  • @jdbc, I've developed one before in Flash, so I could maybe help advise!

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited March 2016
    @jdbc, I've developed one before in Flash, so I could maybe help advise!
    I will do it. Have you used a server to handle rooms and players in your Flash game?
  • Absolutely! We used Smartfox and Electroserver back in the day.

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited March 2016
    Absolutely! We used Smartfox and Electroserver back in the day.
    I am having a look to SmarfoxServer 2x and also the opensource Colyseus multiplayer engine http://gamestd.io/colyseus/ that supports Lua. I will test both of them to use as my backend.

• antixantix Member
    @jdbc - man where did you find that? I searched and searched and came up with lots of bad systems and dead ends when I was looking for multiplayer stuff. I ended up extending noobHub to be a full chat system, still need to implement multiplayer gaming in it.

I might have a good look at colyseus very soon :)