Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Particle Candy for Gideros - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

Particle Candy for Gideros

Comments

• talistalis Guru
    edited April 2014
    Every customer has his/her own idea, and it doesn't matter how harsh are they,criticism is the source of development. But when it comes to slandering about some function that its obviously not existed and no developer claims about it nowhere, then it is totally not correct.
    I bought both products and really happy with them. Whenever there is a new version i am always getting emails from developers about the changes and download link. As for the examples, they are not perfect but for sure satisfactory.
  • @ozapps @talis,
    allright thanks ,I offcourse think candy is great work and a little way from mature. mostly,i need a email support but simply no replys,that's my worry.
  • the mike from candy teams replys me kindly and detail. thanks .
    and enjoy it when we study it.
  • XmanXman Member
    Is the library delivered in lua source code?
  • talistalis Guru
    edited June 2015
    It is be pure in Lua, without any other plugin or code.
    You will just include it in your project and use it like any lua file.
    The code is not encoded of any kind and human readable. (Not byte code)
  • XmanXman Member
    edited June 2015
    It is be pure in Lua, without any other plugin or code.
    You will just include it in your project and use it like any lua file.
    The code is not encoded of any kind and human readable. (Not byte code)
    Thanks! How is the performance? Are there any app available on the app store developed by Gideros ,not the other engine, using that particle?
  • kussakovkussakov Member
    edited June 2015
    This is very interesting.
    Do you know where are the examples?
    I could not find them. (Not the videos, but code examples)

I can't really learn how do a fire, smoke etc., by just reading the reference.
    With other words - they have this great videos with effects, but I need to know how they did it using particle candy, what settings and parameters they used to make the effects, etc.

Also it looks like this is just a emitter engine and one needs to create/draw his own particles (which is actually hard to do).
    Do you know if they have a tutorial/suggestions of how should the particle images be created to make a good effect?

I guess all of this is included in the package, but just wanted to confirm before paying for it :-)
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Gideros examples are provided there, yes. They have examples for different effects as well as examples for using textures separately or using TexturePacks directly in Gideros.

Unfortunately I did not saw any tutorials on how to create images or how to create specific effects. But they have overall suggestions, like how to make cloud or rain by better using images with many drops together, rather than each drop separately, which will result in less particles used thus better performance.

Usually you just select one effect from examples which is closest to what you want, and start modifying it :)

About performance, well particles are always performance eaters, but they behave better than I thought they would be in Lua. Plus will LuaJIT will probably be even better.

I think I had couple of games with their particle engine. Like:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jenots.magness
    http://waterbreadinternet.com/games/sweet-combo-match
    http://waterbreadinternet.com/games/sushi-the-fish
  • Thanks for the info @ar2rsawseen!
    I will probably buy it and use it in our next app.
  • XmanXman Member
    Is this library still active and get update frequently?

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Not frequently, but if you encounter problems, then they get fixed
  • yubaroyubaro Member
    Please help me with the following:

-With Button Class (button.lua) when clicked:
    Case 1: Make exploit the same button.
    Case 2: Make exploit another object.

Thanks.
  • @yubaro better to open some new topic hence this topic is not related with button.lua . In addition better to describe more of what you want, as for myself i didn't understand exactly what was your question.
  • This is very cool by the way. Had no idea this was out!
  • @talis I think @yubaro was asking for help on how to use Particle Candy to make things appear to EXPLODE when a button is clicked.

Case 1: When button pressed, make it explode (in a mass of particles)
    Case 2: When button pressed, make an on screen object explode (in a mass of particles).
  • yubaroyubaro Member
    edited June 2015
    @Scouser exactly! Any idea?
  • yubaroyubaro Member
    Support for X-Pressive not respond to my emails.

Someone who has worked with this?
  • XmanXman Member
    Hi @XPRESSIVE
    I just bought this library, and like it very much.
    The samples are amazing.
    However, since Gideros APIs is object oriented,when began to use it in my project, I feel the APIs is not very friendly to Gideros users.
    1.SetEmitterListener and similar setListener do not support pass a optional data parameter, we can not pass in a class method as the listener jusy as addEventListener did in Gideros.
    2.texturePack can only pass the file name,that we can not put all particle's image in one pack file. It would be better to allow pass a TexturePack.
    3.the frames in the texturePack is indexed by number, not texture name,that is not convenient for large pack file and modify the file will cause the index invalid.
    4.suspended and resume events are supported by Gideros.
    Actually, all these are just tiny issues, and can be supported easily.I have already added these in my local copy, I hope these will be supported in the next official release.
  • XmanXman Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi,guys,
    How do you determine when an emitter has finished and can be cached to reuse?
    I do it by add a line to dispatch an event by the emitter in the StopEmitter function.
  • yubaroyubaro Member
    It seems no longer provide support for your product. I sent several emails and I have not received a response. Someone who can help us?
  • HubertRonaldHubertRonald Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi folks

I've got a little problem with Particle Candy... some effects are more dark in the last Gideros Version --2017.3.1 and 2017.4 I don't know if before--- and I can't fix it. (Bottom this post you can see it)

--------------------------------------------------
    -- Gideros: 2013 and 2014

-- Gideros 2017 I don't know if 2015 and 2016 this was so

I wrote to @XPRESSIVE and they said me the next:

"We could not find a reason for it because the Gideros API wasn’t changed, nor did we change the library in any way, so this completely depends on the way the Gideros renderer works.

Also we’re not sure if this is a OpenGL related issue or an issue with the Gideros renderer. Anyway, it seems that there is no workaround for this at the moment.

However, we’ll keep investigating this issue."

So I want to know if @hgy29 or somebody more has same problem that me and if you have been able to find the solution for it.

The specifications of my computer are:
    macOS Sierra: Version 10.12.4
    iMac: (27-inch, Late 2013)
    Processor: 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graph: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
    Any feedback thanks

2013.png
    608 x 830 - 662K
    2017.png
    611 x 694 - 693K
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    In 2015 gideros drawing engine was largely rewritten to use Open GL ES 2 programmable pipeline (shaders) instead of Open GL ES 1 fixed pipeline. It is possible that some things that the fixed pipeline allowed no longer work.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Thanks @hgy29

For While, I'm playing with colors in RGB to get the colors I want... though it is not elegant solution, it works more or less for me
  • antixantix Member
    Both Particle Candy and Widget Candy are no longer actively supported by the creators. It would probably be good if all links to their products were removed from the website.
    edited May 2017
    It would be interesting to know formally if @XPRESSIVE is no longer going to support their products (Although according to the email I received them, they are maintained or they will maintain the respective improvements of their products) ...

in any case perhaps it should be proposed through the Gideros maintenance team and see to what extent these can be open source (I understand that there was an effort to do Both Particle Candy and Widget Candy but they also can not leave their customers in the "limbo"), in order to make the adjustments and maintenance Required of their products and not to let these products die because in the middle of everything, these are not bad ...

currently I have adjusted some things (according to my needs) but I can not show these changes because These should not be shown, of course I know...

this reduces some feedback and Continuous improvement of these products and also limits the community "know how" about these.

Just to my two cents :)
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    What might be handy is if you look at the new particle system in Gideros and let us know what is missing to do the various effects you need.

(the built-in method should be many times faster than Particle Candy)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
    edited May 2017
    What might be handy is if you look at the new particle system in Gideros and let us know what is missing to do the various effects you need.

(the built-in method should be many times faster than Particle Candy)
    thanks for your words @SinisterSoft
    It would be for the moment what I indicated in the post from above Splats and Paint effect.

I take this opportunity to ask you if luajit can be used in gideros currently and if it is so how?
    edited May 2017
    You can use the luaJit patch I made, it should still work. (i tried it a couple of versions ago and it was fine for Android, Windows)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x9muz3dxjh13vo/luajit_patch.zip?dl=0

I personally don't use it now because bitwise operators, big/small, rad>deg, deg>rad, intdiv operators are built into our version of lua - and things like the iOS devices, html5 and windows mobile can't use jit.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    edited May 2017

I personally don't use it now because bitwise operators, big/small, rad>deg, deg>rad, intdiv operators are built into our version of lua - and things like the iOS devices, html5 and windows mobile can't use jit.

Thanks for your file @SiniesterSoft.. I'm going to play with it :)

I used it in my application in 2013 (for the iOS system) ... and this greatly improved my app since BowSailboat requires a lot of calculation of angles (catmul rom and the cannons and turrets of the boat and foes too).

I know recently there is "Lua: built-in macro" but honestly I have not tried it yet and using this in my code would require a lot of effort because my app as it is is already working and I do not know to what extent, "Lua: built-in macro" inside my app, will require me to change the game engine which as I said already it works.

As I find myself updating my app on Android and perhaps in the future again on iOS (depending on how I go in the Google Play Store) I was remembering the performance benefits of luajit ... but from 2013 to 2017 many things have changed in Gideros (But not its essence :) ) and mobile operating systems ... that's why I was doing this question.

Summing up what I understand you, I would have to handle two versions one for Android (with luajit) and another for the other systems without Luajit, ... or what do you suggest I do first? , keeping in mind the code already phase production... thanks
    edited May 2017
    Just copy the Gideros folder from Program Files to another folder - I used to use 'GiderosJIT' as the name, then apply the patched files to that folder. Make a shortcut to the editor and player for that folder.

This way you can run either the normal export using the normal editor or make the luajit export (android/win32/win32 qt) for the jit version of lua.

Like I said though, I found that by using the bitwise operators, the integer divide, big/small, and the rad/deg, deg/rad conversions it made up the speed difference gained by using LuaJit. I also use a macro for PI.
    pi@3.14159265358979324
    These run fast on all platforms, not just the ones supported by LuaJit.
    (btw you can't use LuaJit on iOS anymore as bitcode is required and there is no LuaJit for bitcode).