Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Tries/No more Lives system (Anyone has implemented before?) — Gideros Forum

Tries/No more Lives system (Anyone has implemented before?)

private_kennyprivate_kenny Member
edited December 2014 in Game & application design
Hi,

I was trying to implement a Tries / No more live system that is similar to what Candy Crush and other games has implemented. Meaning to say, limiting the number of chances a player can make until a certain timeout period, a life will be restored.

I'll like to query the best approach to do this.

This is my fundamental building block:
I have a SceneManager Sprite that controls 2 screens.
Screen 1: Menu Scene (which shows the number of tries)
Screen 2: Game Scene (actual game itself)
When switching Game to Menu scene again, i fired an event to the SceneManager which re-creates the Menuscene.

I created a Timer and started the timer at the SceneManager.
This timer will be passed to MenuScene each time. Timer is set to trigger every 1s.
Code will be similar to such.

function SceneManager:switchScene(event)
local eventType = event:getType()
if eventType == ApplicationEvent.MENU_SCENE then
scene = MenuScene.new(self.screenWidth, self.screenHeight, self.applicationEventsEngine, event.Target, self.database, self.timer)
elseif eventType == ApplicationEvent.GAME_SCENE then
scene = GameScene.new(self.screenWidth, self.screenHeight, self.applicationEventsEngine, self.database)
end

self:addChild(scene)
end

At the menu scene, I re-register at each instantiation.

function MenuScene:init(screenWidth, screenHeight, applicationEventsEngine, coins, database, timer)

self.timer = timer
self.timer:addEventListener(Event.TIMER, onTimer, self)
end

function MenuScene:onTimer
-- Print current timer on screen if life not max
end

This is ok when I try it once. However, when I try it twice, the screen will not display the timer anymore.

Any idea? Is it due to each Menu Scene I created?

Comments

• amin13aamin13a Member
    Accepted Answer
    You can use my Attached file.
    lua
    lua
    main.lua
  • private_kennyprivate_kenny Member
    edited December 2014
    Hi amin13a,

Thanks for your response. It looks good. You are using the frame rate to help do the timer scene. Its a nice suggestion. I'll probably use the same method!

But however, I do have some problems with the frame rate after some levels I've created. It goes from 60fps to 35++. It affects the gaming. You have any idea? I think I'll better rethread this here:

http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/5452/dropping-of-frame-rates

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited December 2014
    Create a new Tries class to manage how many tries the player has done. Inside this class use the DataSaver.lua file and os.time function to store when you start to play and check time difference to reload lives.

local starting_time = DataSaver.load("start_time")
    if (not starting_time) then -- first time
    starting_time = os.time()
    DataSaver.save("starting_time", starting_time)
    end

-- Time in milliseconds to check if you have to reload tries
    time_reload = os.time() - starting_time

Info about time and date functions: http://www.lua.org/pil/22.1.html
  • ENTER_FRAME event has deltaTime property, which says how much time has passed since last enter frame event.
    So you can implement time counting which would be independent on frame rate, even if it is dropping ;)

http://docs.giderosmobile.com/reference/gideros/Sprite/Event.ENTER_FRAME#Event.ENTER_FRAME
  • Hi JDBC, thats what I did. But instead of creating a DataSaver I used the SQLlite database instead.
    Is this recommendable?

Thanks ar2rsawseen.
    Lemme check this out :D
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited December 2014
    Hi JDBC, thats what I did. But instead of creating a DataSaver I used the SQLlite database instead.
    Is this recommendable?

Thanks ar2rsawseen.
    Lemme check this out :D
    How many tables do you have? Why do you use SQLLite instead of files to store data.
    I guess you only need to store starting_time value, lifes and may be coins value. DataSaver works quite well for me.
  • You can use the system time - not many people bother to cheat the system.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Hi JDBC,

I used several tables. But 2 to store the following.
    I have a starting_time, lifes and coins as well.

Hi Sinister,
    You are right, but how to use the System time?
    os.clock() gives me the time the application starts, which is not what I want.
  • When you first start you game load a file that contains the last time you added a life. If you have never save this file then start at the current time and give them 5 lives (the maximum?).

You check the difference by every so often checking the current time vs the time you last added a life. You can do this in a frame interrupt (frame event).

Then if the difference is > 30 minutes then add a life and also add 30 minutes onto the time you last added a life.

If there have been multiple hours (eg overnight) then the lives will fully refresh as it will add multiple 30 minutes and so multiple lives (as the routine gets called each frame) or you can add multiple lives in one go.

When update the last time you added a life then save it to a file (for when the user loads the game in the future).

Here is what I used for 'What Rhymes With Martians?'...

function increaseLives()
    local diff
    if livesLeft<(maxLives+4) then
    local now=os.time()
    diff=now-lastPlay
    local addition=math.floor(diff/regenerate)
    if addition>0 then
    livesLeft=livesLeft+addition
    if livesLeft>(maxLives+4) then
    livesLeft=maxLives+4
    end
    saveLives()
    lastPlay=lastPlay+(addition*regenerate)
    saveLastPlay()
    lives()
    diff=0
    end
    else
    diff=0
    end
    return diff
    end

You can use 'diff' to show how long it is till the next life is given.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • Ah thanks sinister!
    I did exactly what u mentioned. only difference is I used sqllite to store everything.
    I was actually just looking for os.time(), i was using os.clock() all the way and everything gone haywire :D

Btw, I downloaded your game. It was very nice :)
    Quite addictive too :P
    I reached level 10 hahaha
    Added a review on playstore too. Keep up the good work bro
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited December 2014
    Thanks. :)

Working on this next...